Friday, April 26, 2013

Starting to Walk...Seriously

Okay, so I'm feeling a little embarrassed about how tough walking has been for me this week.  I used to run marathons, and now I'm sore from walking.

Guess what, if you don't run for eight years, you lose your fitness!

So, I'm certainly back to square one as far as building fitness goes.  As with the Simply Filling eating plan, this has been a trial week for me with walking as well.  Really, I thought this was going to be a walk in the park, and I've been hit with a huge reality check about how unfit I have become.

With two little ones, walking can be a challenge.  They are just at the age where they won't tolerate the stroller for too long, so I'm going to have to be creative about getting in time to walk.

My goal this week was to walk for thirty minutes, three times this week.  Truly, I thought this was a wimpy goal.  It was not.  Also, I learned that I need to wear good shoes for walking.  Toms won't cut it.

To motivate myself, I signed up for GymPact.  It's a pretty cool app that you can get for free.  The whole idea behind it is that people would rather work out than lose money.   This definitely applies to me...my pen name is saverchic.  So, I signed up and made a pact that I would do three "workouts" in one week.  Since my workout of choice is walking, I also downloaded the RunKeeper app to help track my walks.

For every walk I miss, GymPact will deduct $5 from my PayPal account (!).  If you reach your goal, you'll get a small payout with the proceeds of the money that those who didn't work out paid into the system.  I completed my three workouts, but my first week isn't technically over yet because I got a late start.  So, I'll let you know how much the payout is later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment